Involvement in the arts is crucial to the development of the physician as a well-rounded person. Residents spend so much time working as doctors that their world narrows – contributing to a sense of groundlessness and imbalance. We should nurture and share all of our non-medical passions too. Many of us have a wide range of interests that get sacrificed when we start residency but cultivating those other activities expands our horizons and ultimately makes us better able to care for our patients and ourselves.
We strongly encourage participation in the many cultural events in the Philadelphia region. Some general resources that can be accessed include https://phillyfunguide.com, https://philadelphiaweekly.com/sections/arts, and www.philly.com/philly/calendar but word-of-mouth and going out together with friends is probably even better!
- Philadelphia Opera www.operaphila.org
- Philadelphia Academy of the Arts www.pafa.org
- Philadelphia Orchestra www.philorch.org
- Curtis Institute www.curtis.edu
- Theaters: www.philadelphia-theater.com
- Spotlight Theater http://www.spotlighttheatrepa.org/
- Arden Theater Company www.ardentheatre.org 215-922-8900
- Walnut Street Theater www.walnutstreettheatre.org 215-574-3550
- Suzanne Roberts Theatre www.philadelphiatheatrecompany.org 215-985-0420
- The Wilma Theater www.wilmatheater.org 215-893-9456
- Academy of Music www.academyofmusic.org 215-893-1999
- Merriam Theater and Kimmel Center www.kimmelcenter.org 215-893-1999
- The Tower Theater venue.thetowerphilly.com 215-922-1011
- The Music and Medicine Club (contact email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about rehearsal times and opportunities)